Friday, November 5, 2010

It's so Annoying, I could die!

I’d like to share this series of YouTube videos that my son found last week:

The Annoying Orange
At first, I was concerned that he might be watching inappropriate material online (I mean, hello, this is the internet we’re talking about), so I decided to observe whatever it was he was laughing to on YouTube. I was really surprised when I caught myself chuckling in amusement to the inane antics of the aforementioned orange and his veggie pals, and I ended up waiting after each episode finished for my son to click to the next video in the series so I could watch some more.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

“The Annoying Orange is a comedy web series created by Dane Boedigheimer, also known as "Daneboe". The show features an animated talking orange called Orange, played by Dane Boedigheimer. Boedigheimer's partner Spencer Grove writes the episodes.

Orange heckles other fruits, vegetables, or nearby animated objects, with puns and laughter. Orange lives on a kitchen counter, which he shares with his best friend Pear, a Bartlett pear, also played by Boedigheimer. Despite being his friend, Pear finds Orange just as annoying as everyone else he encounters. Other recurring guest stars include Passion (a female passion fruit), Midget Apple, Marshmallow and Knife. Most episodes consist of Orange talking to other characters, who become annoyed and meet a gruesome end, usually by evisceration with a knife (although fates have included a blender and "deathtrap"), which Orange tries to warn them about before it happens (for example, by saying "knife").”

I must admit, I usually prefer my entertainment to be somewhat intellectually stimulating, and I have absolutely no appetite for toilet humor or crass vulgarity. So for me to be giggling with glee as I watch each Orange episode seems pretty off-character for me. Naturally, I began to analyze this situation, and I came up with a list of reasons why I’m amused by the Orange instead of annoyed:

1. No toilet humor or need to resort to vulgarity (well, almost...)

2. The Orange is so annoyingly irritating, it’s actually funny!

3. The “death scenes” may seem violent initially, but when you think about it, what is so violent about grating a slice of cheese, slicing an apple in two or eating an onion ring?

4. The jokes are hilarious! They remind me of The Simpsons, where anything can happen and often does, and usually when you least expect it to.

5. The puns are really… punny! (I know, that was veeerry baaad… but I couldn’t resist!)

The link above will take you to the first Annoying Orange episode on YouTube, with a selection of others in the series on the right. Afterwards, please share your thoughts and comment if you are as amused (or even if you’re not) as I am by this freaky fruit and his poor unsuspecting pals.

No comments:

Post a Comment