Thursday, November 11, 2010

I'm Googleable!


Earlier today, a friend of mine was telling me how she was pleasantly surprised to discover that typing my name on Google Search results in a lot of hits. To be completely honest, I've known about this for quite a while already, since my job often requires me to conduct interviews with TV, radio and print media, as well as with students (usually college undergrads). These interviews are usually inquiries about the oceanarium, its animals and their care and maintenance, but sometimes I'm also asked to talk about SCUBA diving, helmet diving (a.k.a. Aquanaut), and being a zoologist. And I must admit, I never get tired of the "oh, I saw you today/yesterday/last night on TV" comments and text messages, even if I would prefer that people remember what I was saying just as much as they knew what channel or show I appeared in.

Anyway, I'd like to share some links to blog postings where I was mentioned or interviewed, as well as the videos of some of my TV appearances. As an environmentalist advocating for greater information dissemination, especially when it helps to increase knowledge about Philippine marine ecosystems, I will do what I must to get the word out to as many people as I can. So, if you have any questions you'd like to ask about the ocean, marine parks, fish, diving, the environment, even evolution... please feel free to ask. ^_^

BI"OH"DIVERSITY - a group of students were doing a documentary film on Philippine biodiversity, and they needed to visit a lot of nature parks to conduct interviews, like La Mesa Eco Park, Avilon Zoo and Manila Ocean Park. They decided to post their accomplishments on this blog, though now that the project is finished it seems they no longer update it anymore.

The Varsitarian: Showcasing the wonders of Philippine seas - a walking interview I did for the UST school paper, which I gave a few months after the oceanarium opened in 2008.

Trying out the Fish Spa - I'm not seen in this video, coz instead of being interviewed, I'm the cameraman! The reporter (my good friend, Ms. Erika Tapalla) came to interview Dr. Benjamin Vallejo Jr. of UP about our fish spa, and needed a pair of steady hands to assist in the shoot. It's nice to know that I can be effective behind as well as in front of the camera!

Manila Ocean Park and WWF Inspect Bataan Coastal Resources - this article highlights a trip I took with WWF to Morong, Bataan, where we visited the mangrove forests (or mangals), seagrass beds and coral reefs that can be found in the surrounding area. It is a known nesting site for sea turtles, which is why organizations such as the Bantay Pawikan Project have set up base there.

Fish in Dirty Water - a blog article by Cesar "Gigit" Sulit a.k.a. The Lone Rider, that talks about this large shark that was seen jumping out of the waters underneath the oceanarium some time ago. (Note: the shark was not one of ours, and witnesses claim it was larger than any of the sharks we had at the time.)

Manila Ocean Park (uploaded by normandbph) - an interview I did with Mel Tiangco shortly after the opening (this is part 1; part 2 here). I remember that it was after this particular bit of media exposure that people were suddenly approaching me to ask "ikaw ba yung nasa TV para sa ocean park?"


No comments:

Post a Comment