Friday, October 22, 2010

Another Poem!

The following is the last poem I had written in college. It came about during a low point in my life (or rather, what I thought was the lowest point at the time), and I had written it to express exactly what I was feeling without actually saying what was going on. When I finished, I said to myself that this piece, though complete in itself, cannot end just as it is; it must have a 'sequel', especially since it ends on a dour note. However, it's been over ten years since that time, and I've yet to write that final, uplifting conclusion. Not that I haven't tried, mind you... its just that I've not been able to connect with a feeling or emotion that could complement the one found in this piece. Ah well... some other time, perhaps. Until then, do read on and tell me what you think:


My Story of 'Hope'

When I was a young boy, Hope sprang in me true
And inspired me to fly into the sky blue.
But when I first tried on that clear summer’s day
I just came crashing down, all to my dismay!
I said to myself, “I failed, but I’ll cope
One day I will fly as long as I’ve Hope.”
I was up the next morn all cheery and bright
Wond’ring if today I will reach the sun’s light.
Looking behind me, I brushed all doubts aside:
Hope gave me wings so the wind I can ride!
But despite my new gifts I still couldn’t fly;
Upon hitting the ground I gave a pained cry.
Nevertheless, Hope made my spirit strong.
“I will touch the sky! That is where I belong!!”
And thus, everyday, I continued my quest
Never relenting, always trying my best.

The days turned to weeks, the months into years
Yet I’ve nothing to show for my effort but tears
Because both my wings are now tattered and torn,
My feathers so shabby, my spirit forlorn.
What happened, you ask? Well, it took quite a while
But now I see why my hard work proved futile:
Each time I failed I’d get up and keep trying
Unaware that Hope within me was dying
For each time I climbed up higher and farther
I’d fall to the ground much faster and harder.
Hope can get hurt, and whenever I fell
I gave it a wound I could never make well.
And now Hope has died… I’ve given up trying
I have thrown away all my dreams of flying.
If each time I fly I know I will fall,
Just crash and get hurt, then why try at all?


2 comments: